Sunday, May 18, 2008

nanny shelly's diary: week seven

It has been one crazy week! Here's how the week went:

Tuesday the movers loaded the last of the furniture and boxes onto the 'moving mack.' That night we headed to a local hotel to stay the night. I wasn't sure what to expect as for hotel rooms, and since it was on of Jim's hotels we had this huge suite! I was amazed! The boys and I shared a huge room with two beds, two couches, a huge flat screen television, a bathroom, and an office area.

Wednesday we played at the hotel in the morning and started the eight hour drive to Virginia just before noon. We were making really good time until we hit the Bronx...where we were stuck in traffic for four hours! So what initially could've been a eight hour trip turned into a twelve hour trip. I saw a guy reading a novel in traffic...that's gotta be safe! The boys watched three movies during our time in New York...and the next time I go to the city I'm going to avoid the Bronx cuz I've had about enough of it for now. I was in eight states on Wednesday...Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia. On the West Coast I could drive for eight hours and still be in Oregon! It's a bit different.

Thursday we came over to see the house...it was the first time I'd seen it and it is lovely! We ran a few different errands and the boys and I met a few of the neighbors. The boys saw a rabbit in the back yard and chased it for about ten minutes...that wore them out good!

Friday we went into Washington DC. I was able to get a drive by view of a lot of the monuments. The last time I was in DC (years ago) they had scaffolding around the Washington Monument, so it was cool to see it in it's full glory. It was a little too wet to explore outside...but we had fun staying inside playing with cars. Alex and I watched Dumbo...I always cry during that movie...'Baby Mine'...oh my gosh!

Saturday Elizabeth and I took the boys to the pool for some swimming fun...Ali likes to jump into the pool. We had the pool to ourselves so the boys were able to kick around and blow some bubbles.

I guess that brings us to today huh? Well...we went to a volunteer firefighters show-type-thing...it was a lot of fun! The boys were able to see a helicopter land...but they received a call just after landing so the boys weren't able to explore the helicopter. Ali took a ride on a fire truck too.

This weeks funnies: the boys have been watching 'Alvin & the Chipmunks' and whenever Dave yells 'Alvin!!' on the movie, Michael yells 'Almer!!' So cute...

One of the guys at Jim's work told Jim and Elizabeth he had 'anal glaucoma,' when questioned about this he said, 'yeah, I just didn't see my butt coming in to work today.'

I was getting Alex dressed one morning to go down for breakfast and he looked at me and asked, 'Shelly, do I smell?' I took a sniff and told him he didn't smell, and he said, 'Oh, it must be you then.' I laughed SO hard!

We've all been working on Alex and his thumb-sucking. We usually tell him it's a 'no thumbs day' and he's getting better with it. One day we were all driving and Jim turned around and said 'Alex, it's a no thumbs day.' Alex looked at him and said 'he likes to rest in my mouth.'

It's been a long, busy week, and tomorrow when the movers get here it will continue. So until next week...


shell