I have officially come to the conclusion that boys are a lot of work! I love them so much but they make my life very busy. (smiley face) I've also come to realize that the stereotypical "selective hearing" that seems to be a characteristic of many men starts at a very young age. We had lots of adventures this week...I'll share a few with you.
Elizabeth had an overnight business trip this week...so Michael, Alex, and I held down the fort together! Boy was that exhausting!! I seriously slept hard during their naps! I did have a little bit of a fright though. For those of you who aren't aware...I can be somewhat of a paranoid person. At night after putting both the boys to bed I let Knicky (the dog) in and set the house alarm. Whenever an outside door opens (when the alarms are off) there is a "beep, beep, beep" to tell you that a door was opened. This night I slept with my door open so I could hear the boys if they needed me in the night. Around mid-night I SWEAR I heard the sound of a door...without the beeps...so it was a door inside the house (but when I'm freaked out I also have a tendency to hear things...I really can be crazy). A few seconds later Knicky, who was at the bottom of the stairs started barking and then growling. I snuck into Alex's room and got him out of bed and made my way toward Michael's room to look out the window (before I press the "panic" button). I stood there to see if anyone was outside...just then a cat ran away from the front door! All this commotion over a silly cat!! So I put Alex back to bed and called Michelle to talk for a bit cuz I was seriously shaking all over.
The weather has been fairly nice lately (with the exception of the thunder/lightening/rain storms yesterday) one day it was up in the 70's! Due to the nice weather, I thought it would be a wonderful idea to put Michael in a stroller and take the boys for a walk to the park. The park was a bit farther away than I expected...but it really is quite a nice walk. On the way there we only had a few moments of fuss...Alex really doesn't like ANY bug. Once we arrived at the park the boys played with other kids for a while, we only had three rules: don't push anyone, share, and listen to Shelly. The boys did really well with the three rules, Alex even played baseball with two other little boys he met at the playground. On the way back Alex started complaining about his leg (I'm still not sure what happened...either he didn't want to walk or his legs were tired). So I tried carrying Alex in one arm while pushing the stroller with my hands...not so much. Thirty-Three pounds of boy can exhaust your arm pretty fast. So I attempted to give Alex a piggy-back-ride while pushing the stroller. Alex is not quite familiar with the concept of a piggy-back-ride so it ended up with me bent over (pretty far) with him on my back trying to push a stroller on a sidewalk...it must've been quite the site! After going on like this for a few blocks I knew it just wasn't going to work anymore...so Alex had to walk again. We all made it home in one piece thankfully.
We've been working on the concept of sharing...it's a hard one to grasp and the boys don't like that toys that aren't shared don't get to be played with. We've also been reading through "The Hobbit," Alex is really enjoying it and Michael really enjoys playing through it. Alex joined me one night after Michael went to bed, to give Elizabeth a relaxing evening, to watch "The Lady and the Tramp" on my computer...he thought that was pretty cool.
It's been quite the week. I have a growing attachment to this family...they're wonderful!
shell