Monday, June 23, 2008

nanny shelly's diary: final installment

I wrote a blog in the airport as I was heading home...but I couldn't get a signal for the internet so I didn't post it. Unfortunately I forgot I had written it with all the busy-ness of being home. So here it is:

Well...I'm sitting in an airport terminal (again) writing a blog. Hmmm...maybe they put me in a blog mood? Or maybe not. One thing about airport terminals is that they are great for people watching. I'm honestly taking a while to write this blog...because Chris Brown's smooth voice in my ear is a bit distracting...for sure!

The contrast between Virginia weather and what I hear Oregon is up to will be fun. One hundred degree days with humidity to sixty degrees and rainy.

Well the boys started school this week. Alex jumped right in and was totally in his element. It was actually difficult to pry him off the playground with the other kids. Michael isn't a huge fan of the idea yet, but it will be so good for him.

One of the most exciting things that happened this week was the thunder storms on Wednesday. They started during the boys nap around 2:00 and continued on and off until about 9:00. The thunder was shaking the house, the lightning was the only thing that was lighting up the house, the power went out for a bit, and the rain and wind was a flurry of grey outside. We also spent a good deal of the evening in the basement because of tornado warnings. The next day we found out that eight tornadoes touched down in the area...one fairly close to where the house is. I can honestly say I've never in my life experienced tornado warnings...I wasn't even scared cuz it was too cool.

As usual I have a few Alex quotes for the week. That kid cracks me up! Goodness.

I told him yesterday that I would miss him a lot and his response was, "good!"

I asked him earlier this week if he likes peaches and he said, "Peaches? They smell like money...I like money!" Ha! I don't really have any idea where he gets some of this stuff!

One day Elizabeth was trying to get the DVD player working so we could watch "Enchanted" and once she had it figured out Alex said, "give me a high five there girl!"

The one that had Elizabeth and I laughing for quite a while was this: We picked the boys up from school yesterday and went through the Taco Bell/Kentucky Fried chicken drive through window. Elizabeth asked Alex what he wanted and he said that he wanted a "cadooda." Her and I looked at each other and just started busting up laughing...he meant a quesadilla.

I miss the boys already. As they were dropping me off at the airport Alex asked me if I'd be back tomorrow. I am definitely leaving a piece of my heart in Virginia. I can't wait until I can come visit them now.